Search This Blog

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Thieves Oil - A Must Have!!

Thieves Oil tends to be one of the better known oil blends available.  It is without question my favorite oil blend from Young Living.

Thieves Oil blend originated with a legend.  This oil is supposed to have protected thieves from the plague because of its immune system boosting properties.  I don't particularly care if the legend is true or not, I will be keeping this oil close by!

This is another one of those oils that we use for personal wellness and for household cleaning.  Young Living has a whole line of Thieves products that I haven't even begun to explore yet (including a Thieves Premium Starter Kit available when you enroll as a member).  I have just been making my own versions of the home cleaning products so far.

Thieves oil blend is a combination of cinnamon, clove, lemon, eucalyptus, and rosemary.  It smells like the holidays to me. I started with Thieves in a diffuser - I absolutely love the smell - it is a warm and cozy, homey smell that lifts my mood immediately.  However, that is not why we were diffusing it.  Thieves acts to boost your immune system, so having had a rough winter with various ailments in our house, I was looking for something to help us out.  Unfortunately, I didn't start this till March, so I just caught the tail end of the worst stretch for us, but I look forward to using it next year to help us stay healthier.

That being said, however, a few weeks ago my older son appeared to have some kind of a stomach bug.  When he's sick, he likes to have my husband sleep in his room with him to help him during the night if he isn't doing well.  Before my husband turned in for the night, I had him put Thieves on his feet and I rubbed some (diluted in a carrier oil) up and down his spine.  We both wanted to know that he had a little extra protection so he wouldn't catch it, too.  The next day we diffused thieves in my son's room, to get whatever might be floating around out of the air and clean the room out a bit.

I put Thieves onto the soles of my feet about once a week or so to give my own immune system a boost.  Thieves is a "hot oil", meaning it burns on contact if it isn't diluted.  For many people, putting hot oils on their soles of their feet doesn't bother them, which I have found to be true for me, but if it is on my feet, I do still feel it tingling, so I know it's there!

In the deep dark months of winter, I found myself in the middle of one of my many colds.  This one included a very sore throat.  A co-worker, who is the one who introduced me to Young Living, carries Thieves spray in her purse.  One spritz to the back of my throat numbed it instantly and made the rest of the day of teaching bearable.  And another co-worker said she diffuses Thieves in her home all winter, and she swears her family had significantly fewer health issues this year as a result.

Like I said earlier, I have been using Thieves in a cleaner as well.  I made my own, although Young Living does sell Thieves Cleaner.  I combined 2 tsp. of witch hazel, 20 drops of Thieves Oil and 1/2 cup of distilled water in a glass spray bottle.  I keep it in the bathrooms upstairs so that I know they are getting disinfected and sanitized without leaving behind chemicals and fumes that might hurt my family.  I also use it in the kitchen and to spray down toys or non-wood surfaces my kids are coming in contact with.

I have read about using thieves in the dishwasher and in the laundry, but I haven't tried that yet.

Thieves can also be used as an analgesic, putting it "neat" onto sore gums or toothaches.  It can also be used to stave off cravings when trying to eliminate certain foods from your diet (I'm currently on a sugar-detox diet and using Thieves to help me through rough patches).

I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the thieves line - hand soaps, dental care, sanitizer. . .

If you are interested in trying Young Living products, or if you have any questions, please email me.  And if you're interested in a membership with Young Living, I can help you with that, too!



Please remember that I have no medical training or background.  I am speaking only of my experiences with essential oils.  Please do your research and consult your doctor before using essential oils for health reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment