Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Peppermint Oil - So many uses!

Image result for young living peppermint oil
**Please note that I have no medical training or background, and the information in this post is in no way to be used as medical advice.  I am merely sharing my experiences with the oils.

I literally use my peppermint oil throughout the day for so many purposes.  It was the first oil I tried, and I had no idea then that I would find so many more uses for it.  These are just some of the ways I've used peppermint over the last few months:

Right now, I wake up in the morning without being congested and puffy, as I usually am this time of year due to my seasonal allergies.  Why?  Because throughout the night we run a diffuser in our bedroom, with 3 drops each of lemon, lavender and peppermint (or as it is affectionately known among many essential oil users as the "allergy bomb").  The first night we used it, my husband and I both immediately noticed a difference.

However, when I was struggling with a cold earlier in the year and was horribly congested, I found that the ONLY thing that helped me find relief (including the OTC decongestants that did nothing more than make me jittery and nauseous) was if I took a mug or bowl of boiling water, added a drop or two of peppermint oil, and inhaled directly over the steam.  It IMMEDIATELY helped me breathe again. **I have since tried adding a drop of tea tree oil as well, which I've learned helps clear up the source of the problem while the peppermint helps ease the discomfort.

I have tried ingesting what is known as the "weight loss trio" - 2 or 3 drops each of lemon, grapefruit, and peppermint.  I didn't notice weight immediately melting off (because when does that ever happen?!) but I did notice a decreased urge to snack, which is always a good thing!  I will be exploring oils and weight loss more in the next few months.

When I have a headache, backache or sore muscles, I apply peppermint "neat" (or undiluted) to my temples, my neck, or whatever muscles feel tight.  I learned the hard way not to apply it to the sinus area, even if I have a sinus headache - my eyes watered like crazy for at least a half hour!  My husband suffers from shoulder stiffness frequently, stemming back from an injury years ago.  When he first tried peppermint oil on it, he was blown away by how much better it felt.  Now he asks for it daily.  He also wants to try to put it on before he starts exercising, to see if it helps with tightness.

I also like to add a drop of the oil to my water that I sip on throughout the day.  I find that it helps with digestion and bloating, it is cooling and refreshing, and it is a natural, sugar-free, sweetener-free alternative to gum or breath mints.

**There is a concern with using peppermint oil if you are pregnant or nursing, or with children.  Please be sure to do your research before using any oil.

Interested in trying Young Living Essential Oils?  Send me a message or sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment