Search This Blog

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Lemon Oil - I Can't Say Enough About It!

    Lemon oil. . . . where to begin!!

I have found many daily uses for my lemon oil.  I started using it as an additive to my water - partly to encourage me to drink more water throughout the day, partly thanks to an article (that I hope to relocate and link here!) that talked about how good it is for a natural liver and kidney detox when you drink it every day.  Then I stumbled aross this article that talked about things to do with lemon essential oil that I hadn't even thought of.

It is another oil that plays many different roles throughout my day:
When I get up in the morning, I drink a glass of water with lemon oil in it, as a way to hydrate and a little energy burst right away.  Throughout the day I have a water bottle with lemon oil in it next to me at work to help me in my goal to drink more water at work!  I have learned that you should only put essential oils in glass water bottles, as the oils can leach toxins out of plastics unless they are "hospital grade plastic" - and no one wants to be adding toxins to their water!!

Right now I start my day with my allergy bomb (2-3 drops each of peppermint, lavender, and lemon oil in a capsule with a carrier oil).  I have found it to be more effective and easier on my body than any OTC allergy medication or anti-histamine I have tried **

A few weeks ago I made an all purpose home cleaner with my lemon oil.  I combined equal parts distilled water and white vinegar (I used 1/2 cup of each for my 16 oz. spray bottle) and 20 drops of lemon oil in a glass spray bottle (found on Amazon).  You could easily adjust the amount of lemon oil to suit your preferences.  I love the lemony smell without the oily residue that this proportion gave me.  We now use this spray cleaner daily in the kitchen (appliances, counters, sinks), on the dining table (won't harm wood!!), in the bathroom (the vinegar and lemon oil combination cuts through the mineral build-up that we get from our city water), everywhere!  The best part is that my two little helpers love to help me clean, and since I know the ingredients are safe for them, I don't worry about letting them spray for me!

Those same little helpers had put a whole bunch of stickers on the wood coffee table a while back.  We had scraped, wiped, wet, picked, and rubbed, but those stickers didn't want to come up.  Two years later, I tried lemon oil to remove them.  I put it on them directly (about a drop on each sticker), rubbed it in with my fingertip, waited about 2 minutes, and then wiped.  EVERY sticker came up, as did the sticky residue underneath!!

At school I work in a beautiful room with custom made wood tables.  When students got permanent marker all over the gorgeous tables, I was heartbroken.  We tried several chemical solvents to remove it and it dulled the ink a bit, but the damage remained.  I figured it couldn't hurt to try some lemon oil, since I knew it wouldn't hurt the wood, and the worst that would happen is the dulled ink would still be there. After applying the oil and letting it sit for a few minutes, when I scrubbed, the marker came up.  So I kept going, and used it to remove glue, ink, and all sorts of other junk from the table tops, too.  And the added bonus, of course, is how good the room smelled afterward.

I love cooking spicy foods!  But I don't think to wear gloves when cutting up peppers, and I inevitably remember too late, when I go to take my contacts out later and get the oil in my eyes!  Now I've started rubbing a couple drops of lemon oil on my hands after I work with the peppers, and it takes the hot oil right off of my hands!

Lemon oil is also used in conjunction with other citrus oils and peppermint oil as a weight loss combination, it can be used as a sanitizer when rubbed on the hands, it is great for a bad mood, as it brings a bright and happy smell when diffused, and of course it is a great addition to a cup of hot water or green tea!

I could keep going, but I think you get the picture!


If you're interested in trying out Young Living oils, or if you have any questions, please email me.  I'm happy to help you get started!  And if you're ready for a membership with Young Living, you can sign up at this link.


**Just a reminder that I have no medical training or background.  I am speaking only to my experience.  It is important to do your own research, and consult with your doctor before starting essential oil use.

No comments:

Post a Comment