Search This Blog

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Lavender Oil - I thought I knew it all!!

When I ordered my everyday oils starter kit from Young Living, I figured I would occasionally use the lavender oil for sleep and relaxation, but here I am 6 weeks in, and I use lavender more than any other oil in the kit, and in ways I never imagined!

If you've read my past posts, you've heard me talk about the "allergy bomb" - equal parts peppermint, lemon, and lavender - that diffuse nightly to help both my husband and I with our seasonal allergies, and that we both take daily by capsule to help alleviate seasonal allergy symptoms and congestion without the side effects of antihistamines or OTC allergy medicines.  You've also heard me mention that I apply diluted lavender and valerian oils on my kids' feet and my husband's to help with restful and deep sleep.  As I type this, there are diffusers running in both of my kids' rooms with lavender in them to help them calm down and fall asleep.  When my older child has fits (as 6 year olds are prone to do) I can calm him immediately by rubbing some lavender on his chest.  Much more effective than a time out, yelling, or anything else we'd tried.

In my last post, I talked about how I've used lavender for skin care products as well.  I have dabbed lavender oil straight onto cuts and scrapes to help them heal, and I have learned that the horrible itchy patch on my left elbow, which never seems to go away, can be healed with lavender.  And I anticipate using lavender this summer to help with sunburns and bug bites.

As  I started researching essential oils, I saw that lavender was referred to as the "swiss army knife" of essential oils and now I know why!!

update: Recently I spent an afternoon making a variety of beauty products with my Young Living oils.  I found, not terribly surprisingly, that most of the skincare recipes called for lavender oil.  Its skincare benefits are well known, and it is mild on the skin, as well as smelling great.  After making all of my DIY products, I can now say that I am using lavender oil on my skin every single day.  I can't wait till my rosemary oil arrives in a few days so I can make a lavender rosemary lotion (which is supposed to be amazing for dry skin).  Doesn't that sound like it will be heavenly!?

If you have any questions, of course, please email me.  And if you're interested in Young Living oils, which I have chosen as my oil supplier, based on the quality of their product and their impeccable reputation, let me know.  If you're interested in membership with Young Living, which allows you to purchase oils at wholesale prices (24% off of retail), you can sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment